Hike | Wave Cave | Superstitions
- Length: 3.5 miles round trip
- Trail Type: Out and Back
- Trailhead Elevation: 2,200 ft.
- Gain/Loss: +990 ft.
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Kid Friendly: Yes
- Dog Friendly: Yes
If you want a short, moderate climb to an awesome cave with a "wave" like formation and great views of the magical Superstitions then this is definitely the hike for you!
The hike begins at the Carney Springs Trailhead which really is a small pullout on the west side of the road. From the trailhead you will follow the old and wide dirt road for a solid mile until you reach the wilderness fence line. Follow the trail through the fence and you'll notice the trail become much more narrow and rocky. The reason I rate this hike moderate and not easy is due to the loose, rocky nature of the trail as well as the short climb that begins shortly after the fence line.
The hike from here is a fairly short moderate climb to the visible cave above (in fact, the cave is visible from the trailhead). You will continue following the trail which is annoyingly marked with far too many unneeded cairns until you finally reach the cave. The highlight hike is to stand in the back of the cave while a friend poses on top of the "wave" rock formation to make a fun silhouette. Take a break, some photos, and then head back the way you came.
- Please follow Leave No Trace Principles by taking only pictures and leaving only footprints
- Make sure to take your camera!
- The trail is full of loose rock so make sure to wear sturdy shoes with good soles
- STOP MAKING CAIRNS! I passed over 100 cairns on this 1.5 mile hike which is just annoying.
- This is a great hike for dogs because there is very little cholla and is pretty wide
- Make sure you are well equipped with your 10 essentials!
- The Wave. Make sure to take a picture riding the wave!
- Easy hike but also easy to get lost
- Beautiful Sonoran desert with little cholla cactus