Hike | Wind Cave Trail | Usery Park
- Length: 3.2 miles round trip
- Type of Trail: Out and Back
- Trailhead Elevation: 2,000 ft.
- Gain/Loss: +850 ft.
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Rating: 5/10
- Dog Friendly: Yes
The Wind Cave Trail is a short, moderately difficult hike that leads to at best a few alcoves and should not be mistaken by the more popular Superstition hike the "Wave Cave" trail. This hike begins at a popular trailhead which is equipped with restroom facilities. The trail is well marked from the trailhead and is very easy to follow.
Not long after starting on the trail you will junction with Pass Mountain Trail. Continue straight and gently ascend towards the mountainside you see in front of you. The trail will continue to ascend for 800 ft. over 1.5 miles and will eventually bend right towards the "caves". You will see a sign pointing left towards the caves. The caves themselves are not all that interesting and regularly contain bees and wasps which you need to be aware of. The real treat at the end of your hike is the nice views that look over the valley floor. Return the way you came and remember to use caution and hike slowly.
Usery Mountain Regional Park charges a $6 admission fee per vehicle as of this posting. Here is a map of the entire park.
Tough hike to great views
- Not far from home
- Great place for a workout and lunch at the caves
- Watch out for the bees at the caves. Sometimes they aren't too bad but listen and be cautious
- Bring a sack lunch and enjoy a meal in the shade at the caves
- The caves really aren't all that cool but should be enjoyed nonetheless
- Please respect our wild places and follow Leave No Trace principles.